For our Let’s Ask this week, we asked members of the UE community to answer the question: “What do you wear?” Here’s what they told us:
Where do you shop?
Local military surplus
What are your favorite brands?
Military surplus stores
Rag + Bone
What is your favorite outfit?
“Even though I’m currently obsessed with mint, I think my absolute fav outfit is a deep red mandarin collar blouse (Modcloth) with black skinny jeans (Levi’s)! My comfiest black patent flats are from Target, and I prefer to wear a silver elephant pendant that I got from Kohl’s. Currently marathoning a pair of brushed-silver owl stud earrings that I purchased from a boutique in Tahoe.”
“Dark wash skinny jeans (J Brand) with one of my standards: a pair of chucks or a pair of worn brown leather lace-up boots (Steve Madden). On top: a pale blue button up (Old Navy or Gap) or a white v-neck (Forever 21) with a grey blazer (Gap). Sleeves always rolled up. For accessories: silver rings, a silver watch (American Eagle), messenger bag (J Crew), and–when I want a pop of color–a red checkered scarf (Borrowed! Originally from Lebanaon.)”
“I basically live in oxfords (Uniqlo) and jeans (Barneys). I can throw it on quickly when I inevitably hit the snooze button too many times, and it’s comfortable enough that I won’t hate my life by the end of the day. I’m really drawn to the idea of not having to think about what I’m wearing while still looking good. I’ve literally got my favorite button-down in 13 different colors, I just switch it up whether I wear it with a hoodie / sweater / cardigan (Opening Ceremony) to keep things from feeling like a uniform. (Leather boots; Guess wool military jacket; Polo scarf)”
“Cargo shorts from Old Navy and a t-shirt from any of several dozen places. I wear it every day.”
“Skinny jeans that I can safely sit down in (Levi’s), interesting tanktop (stolen from my cousin), slightly heeled boots (Steve Madden).”
“Oof. A favorite outfit is so hard! I have a navy dress with a Taj Mahal pattern (Dorothy Perkins) and knee high brown boots (Nordstroms) that I really like. The dress had great swing in the skirt and is sexy without trying too hard, and has a tie in the front so you can make it like a big bow too. I also love wearing a teal maxi skirt that is very big and dramatic (Laundry by Shelli Segal) paired with something simple like a black v-neck t-shirt (Target).”
“I can’t ever put together anything but, every once in a while, I’ll do okay. I like combat boots and Chuck Taylors, skinny jeans, a graphic tee and a leather jacket (Zara, H&M, Top Shop).”
“Gap jeans, Forever 21 sweater, and Toms!”
“I’m a New Yorker, so all black, all the time is in my DNA. I like to mix up classic lines with boho pieces, maybe with a pop of color thrown in with accessories. But my favorite, favorite outfit? Probably just a pair of black skinnies with a black-and-white striped top, some flats and fun jewelry (Gap, Loft, J Crew).”
What’s your best tidbit of fashion advice?
- You’re most confident when you’re comfortable.
- Just because you like it, doesn’t mean it looks good.
- Don’t be afraid to wear bold colors… and lots of them!
- Find a comfortable type outfit you like enough to wear most days and use layers to play with the look.
- Anticipate the clearance sales.
- Basics and statement pieces are all you’ll ever need.
- Don’t be scared of prints—they are your friends, they make everything fun!
- Great hair is so important.
- If you wear leggings, make sure the top covers your ass!
- Dress for your shape and weight!
- Fit is key: I’m petite, so I love that I can get decent basics in petite cuts from Gap/Old Navy online.
- I have no fashion advice to give, I just wear clothes that function well and are comfortable
- It’s amazing what you can find at a good clothing swap. Some of my favorite items of clothing have come from swaps…and they can be great chances to try out new styles that you’re curious about but wouldn’t want to actually buy.
- Everything is better in black.
We want to know what you wear! Tell us in the comments!
Photo by Meggyn Watkins